Thursday, August 16, 2007

things I have learned (or relearned) so far...

The internet may or may not work. There may or may not be power. There may or may not be water. The refigerator freezes everything, including apples. Frozen apples look weird, but taste fine once they have thawed.

English words that mean something different when a Malawian says them:

Thank you- means anything from okay to nice to meet you to you're welcome
*Example: "Hello. What is your name?" "I'm Megan." "Thank you."

Tomorrow- perhaps it means tomorrow, or the next day, or the next day, or maybe the day after that.
*Example: "Your desks will be in your room tomorrow [Tuesday]." It is Thursday. I have no desks.

:-)

Praise: I feel good about the way my classroom is looking. I am starting to feel comfortable here.

Prayer: That planning and organizing lessons and classroom stuff will go well next week before the students come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey

Anonymous said...

Hey Megan! I love your blog and am so happy for you. I totally look forward to updates on your teaching. I start stuff for the school year tomorrow- woo hoo! you should check out my blog too. www.kristibisti.blogspot.com
Love you, Kristi Weathers