Friday, May 30, 2008

Friday in Malawi

There's a few things I love about Friday (besides the obvious).

1. Chapel. Reception thru 1st grades have chapel together every Friday. One class sings a song, one class recites a memory verse, and one class presents the lesson. Mrs. Mpata leads songs and it is such a priveledge to see the little ones lift their praises to the Lord.

2. Art. My class gets really excited about the art projects that I give them. They do really well when I give them freedom. And not so well when I try to restrict them.

3. Crisis nursery. I go every Friday to hold babies at the nursery. It's something I look forward to all week. I have seen miracles happen there, and it's a blessing to be part of it. My latest love is a little girl named Juliette. Her twin brother's name is Julius. Most of the babies there don't really smile or coo. Juliette does. She tells story after story, and has the most beautiful smile. I'm going in a little while, and I'm going to remember my camera this time.

4. Potluck. Every Friday all the ABC missionaries are invited to potluck. I know that you have an idea of what a potluck is like from all the ones you've been to at your local church. Let me tell you, this is not like that at all. Jack and Nell open their home to us, there is a theme every week (Mexican, soup and salad, KFC, etc.). There can be as many as 70 people on any given Friday (including the kids, who make up about half of that number).

5. Scrapbooking. LeAnne and I have started scrapbooking on Friday's after potluck. I started one of my classroom to show to you all when I get back. It's turning out really cute. Although it is picturless at the moment. It costs about $1.00 to print a picture here. No thanks, I'll wait for 14 cents and Costco this summer.

I really need prayer for the next two weeks- there is so much to do!! Here are some specific things:
  • Field Trip- Crocodile farm. Safe travel there and back
  • Packing up my classroom, organizing and trying to be ready for next year
  • One particular student who is really struggling with math, and one with reading
  • Wrapping up my first year in Malawi. It's full of emotions and so am I!
  • Safe travel back to the states
  • Praise: Selah Grace Leboffe has joined us, and so has Elijah Forrest Goodnight Robbins

1 comment:

The Robbins & Co said...

Can I be part of the scrapbooking club when I return? I've been getting really into it and plan on bringing my supplies with me in August! YAY!