Monday, December 29, 2008

outside these walls

I live on the campus of African Bible College and I am very thankful for that. I am surrounded by walls that make me feel safe. I like to feel safe. That is good and right when we're talking about a physical absence of danger kind of safety. The problem that the walls create for me is that I start to feel safe in them, and scared outside of them. Not literally. I mean that I feel safe in my community and my ministry and nowhere else. I shut my eyes and my heart to other things that God may want to use to grow me and use me for His kingdom.

Today I traveled with my friend Lisa and an ABC graduate named Frackson (go ahead say it outloud with a bit of enthusiasm, it's a great name!) to a place a little south of here. She is organizing a team from San Diego to come run a camp for orphans so we went to check out a place. I was struck by the beauty of the country that I've called home for the last year and a half. The sky is so blue, the clouds so white, and the landscape so green. Everything in Malawi is exaggerated. It was a good reminder to get outside the walls. Physically and spiritually.

God takes us out of our comfort zones so that we learn to find comfort in him alone. Please pray for this lesson to take root in my heart.

No comments: