Friday, March 7, 2008

a day in the life...

One of the questions I get asked most often is, "What do you eat there?" I'll attempt to answer.

One of the favorite past times among the mzungu (white person) population is to fantasize about food that you can't get in Malawi. But, when it's all said and done, you can get a lot of things here. And if you have the time and energy (or a cook) you can make some really decent food. Here's a pretty normal menu:

Breakfast: bran cereal with raisins (you might think that's called raisin bran, but here you have to buy the bran and raisins separately and the bran is very plain, no sugar at all), or oatmeal, or an apple and peanutbutter.

Snack: piece of fruit (apples and bananas are the cheapest, mango was delicious when it was in season, now is plum season and they are delicious!), raisins

Lunch: some kind of avacado creation is always a favorite (with tomatoes, feta, balsamic vinegar, perhaps?), leftovers from dinner the night before, or if I'm really desperate I'll have tuna with crackers (I really overdid the tuna when I first got here and now it never sounds appealing)

Dinner: saute whatever veggies are in the fridge (peppers, eggplant, zuchinni, onion) and put them over cous cous or pasta, rice if I have an extra long time

Everything here is from scratch, fresh, and homemade. I don't have a lot of time or energy so I end up eating the same thing a lot, but I eat pretty healthy meals. Everything here is also seasonal. Right now is eggplant and plum season from what I can tell about what's available. It's definately not zuchinni season because that's been really hard to find.

I hope you feel just a little closer to me now that you know what I eat. :-)

Blessings to you!

Remember to pray for my students and I through this last week of our term. I've got assessments and report cards to do- again! Ahh! Pray that I can quickly get healthy again (I've had a fever and cough and sore throat).

No comments: