Saturday, November 29, 2008

thanksgiving festivities

On Thursday Annie and I made a non-traditional (but delicious) meal to enjoy together. That's homemade pizza, in case you couldn't tell. We also lit pumpkin and apple scented candles to make us feel like it's actually Thanksgiving.


On Friday we opted out of the Thanksgiving dinner with all the other American's on campus to go to "Carols by Candlelight" with a family that we have grown very close to in the past year. This event is put on by a local church. The kids make lanterns and the band plays Christmas carols. Everyone bring blankets and picnics and we enjoy the music. It is such a special time to enjoy living in a truly international community. I spend the evening with a South African family, an American family, and Zimbabwean family.


This is Nya and Kiara. Aren't they beautiful?This is Annie (my roomate) and Kiara.


This is Hannah and I. Hannah was in my class this year. Her family is leaving Malawi in a few weeks. I'm going to miss them so much! They have really taken me under their wing since I got here last year.


Lisa even made a pumpkin pie (from a real pumpkin!) and brought it with her for us to enjoy. From left to right: Lisa (6th grade teacher), Annie, Me, Andy (english teacher).


So, even though I didn't have a traditional Thanksgiving, it was definitely a time to be thankful. I am so blessed by the people here in Malawi.

No comments: